The Godavari is the second longest river in India after the river Ganges having its source at Triambakeshwar, Maharashtra. It starts in Maharashtra and flows east for 1,465 kilometres (910 mi) emptying into Bay of Bengal draining the Indian states Maharashtra (48.6%), Telangana (18.8%), Andhra Pradesh (4.5%), Chhattisgarh (10.9%), Madhya Pradesh (10.0%), Odisha (5.7%), Karnataka (1.4%) and Puducherry (Yanam) through its extensive network of tributaries. Measuring up to 312,812 km2 (120,777 sq mi), it forms one of the largest river basins in the Indian subcontinent, with only the Ganges and Indus rivers having a drainage basin larger than it in India. In terms of length, catchment area and discharge, the Godavari river is the largest in peninsular India and had been dubbed as the ‘Dakshina Ganga’ – the South Ganges river The river has been revered in Hindu scriptures since many millennia and continues to harbor and nourish rich cultural heritages. However, in the past few decades, the river has been abused with the relentless construction of barrages and dams. The river delta, supporting 729 persons/km2 – nearly twice the density average for the nation, has been categorized as having substantial risk to greater risk of flooding with rising sea levels.
- Firstly we have to undertake the work of the tributaries and then the main river work can be done.
- The concrete structure should not be constructed. Flow of the river should be continued
- Save the river from all type of the pollution.
- The purpose of how to use the water accumulated water in the reservoir should be clear.
- Cultivation of crop that requires more water should be reduced in drought prone areas. All water sources should be protected from the plastic pollution.
- Vision of the Campaign
Godavari River should be Pollution free, exploitation free, Availability of water for drinking, natural life surveillance, continues flow, Rejuvenation of the river basin from beginning to the end Godavari River.
- Key Issues
- River and sewer separation.
- Study of tributaries entering the river. Rehabilitation of the farmer on river banks Stop pollution of the river.
- Stop the industrial waste to enter into the river.
- To stop the extra rain water entering the ocean.
- Utilization of water that is stored by constructing barrages. Raise the ground water level
- To stop the sand entering the river because of which silt level increases.
- Study of catchments area.
- Action to provide securities to the river.
- Study of the plantation on/in the river basin and on banks.
- Availability of water for drinking and irrigation.
- Stop river concrete structure.
- Stop plastic pollution.
- Provide all rights & land for the river.
- Action plan with time line
- Study of the water sources in our surrounding and implementing the required actions.
- To work against the pollution of the water sources for the rejuvenation of tributaries.
- I will organize awareness program for water literacy and participants in the entire government organized program related to the river.
- Study of micro watershed and action in development
- To stop concreting & encroachments in the river basin.